Wednesday, June 9, 2010

They Ain't Robins, Brother

I hope it doesn't get too tiresome, but I am having fun finding these old songs we used to listen to. This one has been a challenge, too. It was on an anthology album of various country hits that Pop had from the 60's, and was a particular favorite. Charlie Louvin is the artist here, and I am sorry to say I am not familiar with his work. Looking over the albums and titles that are available on iTunes (this song is not BTW), he seems like an old school Johnny Cash type, just my kind o' guy. (He even duets with EmmyLou Harris!) So he is worth further investigation. The only version of this song that is available on iTunes is by Roger Miller, who I normally like all right, but his version is full of weird vocal mannerisms popular at the time that really grate on me when I have this great version to measure it by. I know the accompanying video is kind of weied, right? But it is evocative of the times in its own bizarre way, too...

3 comments:

AlanDP said...

Keep 'em coming, I'm loving this.

Charlie Louvin was one of the Louvin Brothers (the one who is still alive). Their music had something of a resurgence in the wake of "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou." I have one compilation CD of their stuff.

AlanDP said...

Is "They Ain't Robins, Brother" the title of this song? I just want to make sure I get it right, since it's going on my favorites list.

Babel said...

The title is "What Are Those Things(With Big Black Wings)". I forgot to mention that, didn't I?!